Pratt Institute in Brooklyn NY
18 February 2016
Slide Show HERE
Two of the five or so kitties that call the Power House home. Take a look at the awesome radiator in the lobby of the building.
|History of the Engine Room
Charles Pratt founds the school. The Engine Room, located in the same
area as at present, contains two steam engines belt driving three
generators for both incandescent and arc lighting. A third engine
supplies power for the machine shops by means of belts and overhead
shafting driven by a flat belt from the engine flywheel. Steam at 100
pounds of pressure is supplied by two 110 H.P. water tube boilers,
The turbine generator, in need of major repairs, is retired and
Three water tube boilers replace the 1887 one. These revert to coal as fuel.
The last coal burning boiler, disused for some years, is replaced with an automated oil burning unit. The 1912 boiler room steam powered auxiliary equipment is all replaced.
New buildings and their increased electrical load indicate
Mass conversion of buildings to utility power removes about
More buildings, more load. A 100 K.W. turbine driven generating unit is installed. The Chief Engineer's office is moved from the West End of the Engine Room to the East End.
A gradual "restoration" program on the part of operating personnel begins which has greatly improved the appearance of the plant, similar to what it was in years past.
The three 1896 boilers plus one new one are installed in a new
The last major building complex is converted to utility power.
With completion of the Engineering Building, the switchboard is expanded to its present size.
At some point during this decade, the three machines pass
The three hand fired 1896 boilers are replaced with two stoker